Saturday, May 10, 2008

My Fill of Philly

Our group returned tonight from a two-day excursion to Philadelphia. We left early Friday morning and took a bus to Valley Forge where we stayed the night. Unfortunately it was a very cold and rainy day. I being my stubborn self did not take a jacket and only had sandals. Though the weather was inclement, I like to think it allowed me to slightly experience what the soldiers did so many years ago, although it is a misconception that the winter there was particularly cold. In reality, no soldiers died that winter due to cold weather, it was mostly disease that killed them. Then today we left for Philadelphia early in the morning and visited the obvious spots: Independence Hall, the Liberty Bell, etc. My favorite part of the day though was actually late afternoon when Heidi, Mandy and I bought some mangos and clementines at the market (they were extremely delicious) went to a park bench to eat them, and then visited a cute, little residential street that holds the claim to be the oldest such street in the nation. Philadelphia obviously boasts a rich history, but there is something unpleasant about it-I certainly prefer D.C.-and one day was about perfect to experience the highlights of the city. I could really get used to this traveling thing!


This was General Washington's headquarters at Valley Forge, the house is original.



(Left to Right) Mandy, Jay, Heidi, Russ



This is the room (mostly original) where the Continental Congress occurred...our Constitution was born here!



Mmmm...cheesesteak



Mandy and I having fun in front of Independence Hall



Market Street, Philadelphia, PA



This is the oldest street of its type in the nation, pretty awesome if you ask me.

1 comment:

kelsey said...

I love the oldest street. Very charming.