Sunday, June 8, 2008

Annapolis...Sailing...Crab...Bliss

Two friends and I (J.D. and Jessie) decided to hit up Annapolis yesterday, or as cool people call it "Naptown". It is a pretty sweet town, mostly because the historicity but also because of the harbor. Our main plan was to go sailing, but there is obviously much more to do and see in the city besides sailing. J.D.'s mom happens to be a walking tour guide, so when she had a break from work, she came and gave us a little walking tour of the town and the Naval Academy. It was awesome mostly because she was dressed up colonial-style and stayed in character for most of the tour. Afterward, we caught the Schooner "Woodwind" and went for a 2-hour sailing trip on the Chesapeake Bay. We first considered manning our own vessel, but in retrospect it was probably a good thing we didn't; sailing is more difficult than I imagined. It was really nice once we got out on the Bay and the breeze gave us a break from the extremely hot and humid conditions of the day.

Our day wouldn't have been complete without seafood, so we took the bridge across the Bay and went to a restaurant for a crab feast. Crab is a lot of work for a little meat, but that's part of the experience of eating crab, and it was really good. On the way home we saw one of the craziest lighting storms I have seen in my life, we even stopped to record some of it. This area has been getting a lot of thunderstorms and tornados lately, I wasn't aware this weather was typical of the area. Definitely loved sailing though. Someday I will need to get my own boat.





Me contemplating life...



Our captain actually trusted us with the boat for few seconds.



Anchors away!


3 comments:

christy said...

This makes me miss going to Annapolis and eating at Phillips. We loved eating there and I love how that area makes you feel like you're kind of stepping back in time. Sailing is fun too. I like going when someone else is in charge of the boat and I just get to relax. I'd never get my own boat, too much work and upkeep. It is fun to just pay for a trip every once in a while when you're at the ocean.
We know first hand about those crazy storms. We had lightning striking in our yard several times. So cool to watch and loud but not cool when it destroyed our well and broke our tree. Cory said when he got home this week that he misses those storms. We haven't had any loud and fun to watch thunderstorms here.

kelsey said...

Yes, get a boat someday, so I can come sailing with you. I love sailing.

Samantha said...

This is such an awesome summer for you!!! Keep posting, it's fun to see all the stuff you're doing. Wish we could be there too. Let us know if you are coming to Chicago.