Sunday, June 15, 2008

A Reflection on Life

This past week had me thinking a lot. I hadn't really stopped to think about how privileged I am to have the experience of spending a summer in DC. Mom reminded me that I am doing things that many people won't ever get to do in their lifetime. It has not all been about fun and games (though I have had my fair share!). I have also been able to have inspiring experiences in our nation's capital. Yes, our government is far from perfect, but I would argue that we do a pretty darn good job for the most part. On monday we had the opportunity to attend a Supreme Court session. It was, indeed, awesome in the "awe" sense of the word. Sitting inside a courtroom that seemed to resemble the temple in both architecture and solemnity, I felt honored to stand in respect for the eight justices as they entered the courtroom (justice Ginsberg was not present). Opinions were quickly read, cases involving patents, discrimination, among others, some lawyers were sworn in as new members of the bar, and the justices exited-all in a matter of no more than 25 minutes. It was pretty fast and I would have liked to see a session with arguments, but it was a great experience nonetheless.

We also had the chance to have Senator Bennett from Utah speak to us about health care and also attend a briefing from a chief-of-staff in the House Committee on Foreign Affairs. This is our government working first-hand and I have really enjoyed seeing that myself so far during my stay here. I have also come to learn that politics is not so black and white as I thought. It is about compromise, giving a little to get a little and taking one step at a time. And it really bothers me to hear people disparage politicians, especially the President. I am not happy we are involved in Iraq either, but when I hear people make degrading remarks, I lose respect for them. The men in power are all brilliant people, and it is not easy to make decisions that literally affect hundreds of millions of people and their future. Its really easy to sit back at home and gripe about the state of the country, but I find that few people have an answer or a plan. It has been refreshing to meet people who don't complain, but actually go out and strive to implement change through their actions.

A happy Father's Day to all.


Future Chair of the House Committee on Foreign Affairs?

2 comments:

kelsey said...

Great photo! You look like you belong there.

What nice things you have to say. Good reminder not to gripe but instead to take action. I'm enjoying all your experiences vicariously!

christy said...

I'm glad you're having a great time and learning lots. It's a neat place to be. We enjoyed our time living in that area. If only it were more affordable and if we had family in the area maybe we would have stayed longer. I also get bothered when people down the pres. and such. The decisions they have to make are very hard and complicated. We as the public don't get the whole story. A lot of people wouldn't take the time to listen even if it were all laid out for us. I just think he has been unfortunate in having some really hard issues to deal with. Many problems we are facing didn't just occur in his presidency. They are a result of actions and lack of actions for many years before he took office.

How sweet that you miss playing tennis with Ben. Cory was very excited to get to play with him. You guys should try and get together like once a month or something and play tennis and hang out and have some brother time. You may not have three brothers living in the same state for long. You'll graduate in a few years and probably move away. Ben could go elsewhere for grad school or work. We never seem to stay any where for more than a few years. Although maybe this time we will actually stay put.